This is the block diagram, some of the things may have changed since we first worked with it. The Mega Claw is an Arduino Pro Mini with some Sabertooth Motor Controllers and a PC communicating over serial.
This is the pin out we used. We wired most of the signals with cat 5 cable so it made life a bit easier.
Here is the development board.
Behind the breadboard we routed out a hole. This way we can solder to it and keep everything secure on the backside.
Wiring was a nightmare, the cable harnesses took days to wire. We wound up using molex connectors for most of the joints.
To suspend the wires we used those spring loaded id badge holders.
Some random motor testing. All was going well until 48 hours before Makerfaire one of the speed controller channels stopped working. It was horrible and we were in panic mode since there was no way we could afford over night shipping for a new one and they were about $67 each. The only thing we could do was scrounge around and ask everyone we knew for a loaner.
Fortunately Chris still had some friends at PolyBots and they happened to have a real beefy one to loan us.
Here’s the machine being driven by our development board.
The software is a bit of a secret sauce cause we don’t have it 100% functioning. We’ll probably release that after Makerfaire since we’re still tweaking it constantly. We actually have two pieces of code. One is the arduino script running on the microcontroller, the second is a script running on the PC as a sound board. This way when the machine starts the arduino can use the PC to play sound effects.
Table of contents